Advertisement
West Blount Directory mobile leaderboard house ad v2 (300x50)

History Glossary

Blountsville United Methodist Church

Place

Founded April 1818 at “Bear-meat Cabin,” the precursor settlement to Blountsville, by Rev. Ebenezer Hearn - the first religious address delivered in Blount County. The original log building, one room, no steeple, rough benches with no backs, stood near the present church site until 1886. The current church was built that year by Otto Puls, a German builder who had previously worked on reconstruction after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871; its original high steeple was removed in 1930 for maintenance reasons.

Its altar table dates to 1939, when it served as the signing table for Methodist unification documents; donated by Mrs. George Duncan in her husband’s memory, it was later used again in the 1968 ceremony that formed the United Methodist Church, before returning to Blountsville.

Share with

Scroll to Top