West Blount Station

Everything West Blount, in one stop.

Reid’s Station

An L&N Railroad depot that anchored a 2,600-acre orchard operation until the line moved on in 1914–15 — and whose ground resurfaced in 2026.

Reid’s Station — also called Reid’s Gap — was an L&N Railroad depot on the South & North Alabama Railroad line, in the hills of southern Blount County. The South & North line was completed through the gap in 1872, and the station itself first appears on record around 1880.

For three decades it was a working depot, anchoring the massive Mont Eyrie Orchards operation — a 2,600-acre peach and apple business built directly on the rail spur. That ended in 1914–15, when the L&N relocated its main line five miles away through Hayden, stranding Reid’s Station on a dead-end track. Almost nothing physically remains of the depot or the small town that grew up around it today.

The ground is having a second moment. In June 2026, Rickwood Caverns State Park opened a new access road and entrance that lands near — possibly directly on — the old station site, closing a 110-year loop between the railroad era and the present day.

Share with

Scroll to Top